The Office of Academic Computing Services (OACS) provides a web hosting service to support academic and research activities. The following types of web sites are supported by OACS.
- Departmental: Website that contains content related to the department. Managed by a person appointed by the department.
- Research Center or Special Program: Website that contains content related to the research center or special program. Managed by a person appointed by the unit.
- Class: Website that contains content related to a BSOS class published in the University's Schedule of Classes. Managed by the course instructor or a designee. Class websites will remain operational unless instructor directs OACS to de-activate the site.
- Faculty: Website that contains information about a faculty member, including publications, awards/honors, and special research. Managed by the faculty member or a designee.
- Website owners and/or updaters who are not faculty or staff, or are external to the University, must be sponsored by a faculty or staff member of their respective unit. Non-sponsored entities will not receive a website and/or web server FTP account.
- The OACS web hosting service supports the Microsoft software stack (i.e., Windows, IIS, SQLServer, and asp or asp.net). Use of software stacks other than Windows, such as LAMP (Linux / Apache / MySQL / PHP) or WAMP (Windows / Apache / MySQL / PHP) must be discussed with OACS prior to the development of your site. OACS may recommend the use of Division of IT’s TerpConnect (http://terpconnect.umd.edu/ ) or Web Hosting services.